Home Help Product support Claim a debit or credit card refund Current Page

Claim a debit or credit card refund

If you’re affected by the news that Arcadia Group and Debenhams have announced they’re going into administration, we need to let you know that while these companies are still trading, any queries or disputes need to be taken up direct with the companies themselves, in the first instance.

If you have a store voucher or gift card for these companies, we might not be able to arrange a chargeback for any outstanding money left on them if they cease trading. If you have any questions about a gift card or store voucher, please contact the relevant retailers direct, to ask what their policy would be.

We’ll update the information here as soon as the companies make a further announcement.

Unfortunately, there may be times when you make a purchase on either your debit or credit card and something goes wrong. There are two different ways you can claim a refund on a card – using ‘Chargeback’ or via Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.  


Applies to both debit and credit card transactions.

This is a way we may be able to recover money you’ve paid on a card from a retailer’s bank if:

  • you don’t get what you paid for (including when the company stops trading).
  • what you paid for is faulty, counterfeit or defective.
  • you’ve been charged the wrong amount (or twice by mistake).
  • you’re charged for a repeat payment after cancelling a subscription.

For chargebacks, it’s worth bearing in mind:

  • there’s no minimum or maximum payment amount you can claim.
  • although we’ll always do our best, unfortunately we can’t guarantee a claim will be successful.

What you need to do

You should always contact the retailer first to see if they can help resolve the problem but if they can’t, please contact us as soon as possible. We usually need to start the chargeback process within 120 days of the date of the transaction or when you were due to receive what you paid for. 

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Only applies to credit card transactions.

If you’ve paid by credit card, you may be able to use Section 75 to get a refund for some or all of the purchase price, where a chargeback hasn’t been possible.

Section 75 will apply where:

  • all or part of the payment was made on your credit card.
  • the purchase price of what you bought is between £100 and £30,000.
  • you have a contract with the supplier i.e. you paid them directly with your credit card.

If Section 75 applies, we may be equally responsible for your loss eg if what you paid for:

  • isn’t delivered.
  • is faulty or defective.
  • isn’t as described.
  • has been misrepresented by the supplier.

Section 75 doesn’t apply for:

  • transfers of money made using a credit card.
  • cash withdrawals from a credit card.
  • credit card cheques.
  • goods or services purchased via ‘payment processors’ eg PayPal.
  • where the contract isn’t between you and the supplier.

What you need to do

You should always contact the retailer first to see if they can help resolve the problem but if they can’t, you have up to 6 years from the date of the transaction or when you were due to receive what you paid for to bring a claim under Section 75. 

I don't recognise a transaction

If you’re unsure about one of your transactions, here are some tips to help you work out what it is:

  • other transactions around it from a similar time may help remind you of where you were when the one you don't recognise was made.
  • if it was made in a foreign currency, exchange rates may mean the final cost is different to the amount you paid at the time.
  • some retailers eg hotels, taxis, airlines, car rentals etc can add additional charges which could make the total amount more than you were expecting.
  • check the retailer's name eg by entering it in a search engine as they sometimes trade or charge under different names meaning the reference on your statement might not be what you expected.
  • check your receipts to see if you have any from the same day and/or for the same amount but with a different retailer name.
  • check your email inbox as you often get confirmation or receipts this way, which may show a different retailer name.
  • if you share your account, ask the other cardholder if they’ve made the transaction.
  • check if it’s a repeat payment eg a Direct Debit or standing order you might have set up or subscribed to some time ago or is only charged annually.
  • if you've signed up for a free trial recently, check the terms and conditions to see if it’s expired and you’ve started paying for it.

If you’ve tried all that and still don’t recognise the transaction, please give us a call on 03 456 100 100 and we’ll do everything we can to help.