first direct in the community
first direct always looks to make a positive impact around our bases in Yorkshire and Lanarkshire through a range of local projects. We also get involved with some of our parent company, HSBC's national programmes, particularly in the areas of education, the environment and social needs.
first direct is delighted to be starting a two year charity partnership with Maggie's in 2016.
Maggie's provides free practical, emotional and social support for people with cancer and their family and friends, through a network of Centres across the UK and online.
Our focus will be to support and encourage fundraising within first direct and building awareness in our communities. We'll do this by working together to raise funds and publicise Maggie's campaigns. first direct will be particularly involved with supporting the new Maggie's Centre in Yorkshire.
Watch this space for more information about this exciting partnership.
Our employees are fabulous at fundraising
Our employees get lots of encouragement and support to fundraise, volunteer and use their skills and time to make a real difference. Here are just some of their achievements:
- applying for and receiving first direct funding for local charitable projects, including schools and faith organisations, where our employees get involved and lend a hand
- supporting local charities including Martin House Children's Hospice in Leeds and St Andrew's Hospice in Hamilton. Our people roll their sleeves up and do all sorts of things to raise money, as well as donating to the charity's shop. They raised a whopping £37,000 in 2015
- from sporting challenges, tasty bake-offs to payroll giving, our teams raised over £45,000 in 2015 and with HSBC's fund matching scheme we could donate a further £108,070 to both local and national charities.
Local and national community investment
We're on a mission to make a big difference in our local communities, so we're out there investing our time, funds and our skills. Here are some of the things we've been up to:
- lending our time and skills in local schools and universities; mentoring, hosting workshops and seminars to share our knowledge and best practice
- delivering educational programmes to over 1,000 young people to help them reach their potential
- supporting HSBC's National Programmes, such as Opportunity Partnership, to help tackle youth unemployment. We've been involved with employability workshops and working with the Prince's Trust to provide vocational training courses
- working with the National Citizen Scheme in Leeds with social action project funding, Dragon's Den style events and workshops.
Joe Gordon - Head of first direct
We do things a little differently
Hello! Lovely to meet you. Fancy getting to know each other? Let us tell you why we're different from other banks.
Learn more about first direct